There is a big difference between republishing a printed work and using
it for a derivative, such as deducting measurements from a (paper) map
to make a computer model of the streets or buildings which are also
represented on the map.

First off, in the case of a direct republish, the map's publisher can
isntantly recognize that somebody made an actual copy, and therefore,
also prove it in court.

In case of a building or airport modeled off a map, how is the original
map-maker going to recognize that the runway (12000ft long) was actually
derived from *his* map? Since we're effectively modeling the real world,
just like a map would, a map maker will have a very hard time suing
after derivative works, since HIS map is also a derivative off the
(uncopyrighted) real world. Let alone prove in court that your airport
model is plagiarizing off his maps -- obviously, because it looks like
the real airport it's supposed to represent on both the map and in the
scenery!

The only thing a (paper) map maker would effectively be able to
copyright is his specific representation of the world -- that map, and
only that.

Now a digital map may be a dffferent issue since it's easy to
automatically harvest large amounts of geo-data off digital maps,
recompile it and reuse it for commercial purposes.