Considering the same legal issues arise frequently, would you mind posting a
link to the discussion, because all I can find is this:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Copyright_Inquiry

And in a quick response to the second question, your scenery would be more
detailed if you built it using SRTM-3 and CORINE data. I think SRTM-3 is
already used for the areas it is available for, though, and there is possibly
previously generated CORINE scenery available for the area you are interested
in...

Thanks
John