On 19 Apr 2012, at 09:50, Vic Marriott wrote:

> I have discussed this with Tat, and he has managed somehow (I don't even
> understand what most developers are talking about) to make each new release
> work on my machine.
>
> I have a 3 year old iMac running OS X 10.6. I don't consider this to be a
> decrepit old monster, but I do admit it needs a bit more Ram (which I will
> purchase as and when my pension allows).

Speaking as a fellow Mac user, you are unfortunately in the worst possible
place in terms of bang-for-buck to use FlightGear  - while your Mac has plenty
of horse-power in the general case, it wasn't that fast at 3D when new, and
you've no way to fix that. Apple tend not to ship cutting edge GPUs in their
computers.

Of course, many 3D apps will run just fine on your Mac - the major problem is
our scene graph tends to trade flexibility and ease of modelling for
performance. For most users, and developers, they can spend $100 on a faster
GPU and solve that issue if they care, but alas you can't.

(This isn't to say we can't and shouldn't spend effort supporting older
hardware, or improving performance, of course)

James