On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM, James Turner  wrote:

> As far as the FGPositioned Octree is concerned (which is what findClosest
> uses internally), it's holding an owning ref and hence things can't be
> removed from it, for the moment.
>
> So what I guess is happening, is that I'm breaking the ref-counting scheme
> *somehow*, and hence the Octree is left holding a dead reference as you
> say. And somehow how I get away with this on Mac.
>
> But this feels a little implausible, since in other similar scenarios the
> Mac crashes quite happily!

I've manage to have a run or two on Linux that didn't crash if that makes
you feel any better. :-)  But I'll give you that it's much easier to fix a
problem that you can observe versus one you can't observe.

Perhaps the ref counting problem isn't getting triggered on your Mac for
some other subtle reason?

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: