Thorsten

>  Does the problem go away if you set local-weather/dynamics-loop-flag=1
> > from the property browser *after* Advanced Weather is started?
> > Does the problem go away if you set local-weather/timing-loop-flag=1
> > from the property browser *after* Advanced Weather is started?
> > Does the problem go away if you set local-weather/effect-loop-flag=1
> > from the property browser *after* Advanced Weather is started?
> > Does the problem go away if you set
> > local-weather/interpolation-loop-flag=1 from the property browser
> > *after* Advanced Weather is started?
> > Does the problem go away if you set
> > local-weather/housekeeping-loop-flag=1 from the property browser
> > *after* Advanced Weather is started?
> > Does the problem go away if you set local-weather/tile-loop-flag=1
> > from the property browser *after* Advanced Weather is started?

Tested extensively today, and the short answer is "no". There is some
improvement as the flags are successively set to 0, but Advanced Weather
never becomes as smooth as Basic Weather (and that's not without staggers of
its own).

The longer answer is that the symptoms are readily seen in the System
Performance Monitor. There are large differences between the "worst" and
"average"  frame rates, exceeding 50%. In contrast, the Basic Weather
difference is approximately 10%, with some occasional excursions beyond
this. Switching from Basic Weather to Advanced, I see that the  submodule
"events" changes dramatically. With Basic Weather, the numbers in this
submodule are consistent with other submodules. With Advanced, events stands
out from the rest: not only are the numbers much larger than any of the
others but they fluctuate wildly from sample to sample. The total time spent
in event during a sample are 3 times that spent in the next largest,"flight"
which is the FDM. It is my understanding that submodule "events" is where
much of the work for nasal is done: listeners, loop timers and the like. I
have placed todays test results here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57645542/stagger-data.htm

What can be done? I cannot speak authoritatively here - perhaps some expert
can jump in. Personally I would try trading in some framerate for
smoothness, and let all loops run at maximum frame rate. I think at least
some of the problem is load variation as various loop cut in. Loops with
diverse time intervals must coincide from time to time; perhaps we are
seeing that. I did try starting loops at random intervals in AI Models at
one time, but that seemed to make things worse. We know that "for" loops do
not help, perhaps those loops can be advanced on index per frame.  We know
we have problems with Garbage Collection.

 I suppose the bottom line is that this just might beyond what Nasal was
designed for, and we need to migrate to C++.

HTH

Vivian