My
> experiments are coded within the atmospheric scattering framework, but do
> not require it, and since all code is the fragment shader, it'd be
> straightforward to port things also to the default rendering scheme or to
> Rembrandt, if so desired.
> >
> > After some thinking, it seems easiest to me to organize the terrain
shading
> scheme in such a way that one default shader handles most of the visible
> terrain and the exceptions are declared as effects.
>
> I'm all for the idea of having a single terrain "uber-shader", as at
present we
> have too much of a mish-mash of effects.  If we do down this route, I
think
> we really need buy-in from all the people modifying materials to ensure
that
> we apply it to the full set of material definitions and clean up the
unused
> effects that at then replaced.  I think that is you, me, Vivian, Emillian
and Fred
> (urban shader). Anyone else?
>
> I think the current approach of the uber-shader-deferred is a good one,
the
> base effect defines everything, and specializations of the effects can
switch
> individual features on/off.
>
> > I'm not sure at this point what to do with agriculture. Large fields
have a
> really bad tiling problem, and variants of the crop shader technique
(which I
> haven't studied yet) might address this. But this would completely screw
the
> object placement masks which require the underlying texture to be fixed
> rather than dynamically generated. So this should be discussed, it isn't
> appealing to get some terrain down to 10 cm resolution and other terrain
at 2
> m, but I like the placement masks very much.
>
> I'm very keen on the placement maps myself, but they are fundamentally
> incompatible with the crop shader, as the placement information is
required
> well above the shader layer.
>
> > It'd be really cool to be able to specify a few more parameters in
> materials.xml to be passed as uniforms - for instance we could then
generate
> custom heightmaps for the terrain rather than hard-coded ones. Since I use
> tiling-less noise functions, we could easily get a 1cm scale heightmap for
> runway textures for instance, and we could give sand dunes same larger
> wavelength noises than rock.
>
> I can do this fairly easily.  As mentioned previously, I think I'd want to
handle
> this as a generic framework allowing properties to be defined in the
> materials.xml file that are then passed through to the effects and can be
> used in the parameters section.

I'll certainly do what I can to help this one along. However, I'm not clear
how this all ties in with the Rembrandt project. Are we in danger of having
to tear it all down and starting over?

I, too, am a fan of the placement masks: they have made a significant
improvement in the realism of our scenery.  On the other hand, I have long
since abandoned using the crop shader.

Let me know what it is you think we need.

Vivian