On 7 Oct 2012, at 15:19, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> The use-case is to enable or disable particular views if you don't want to
> have to spend ages cycling through them.

I also quite like this option. Some a/c also provide many additional
custom views. It's handy to just enable the personal favourites.

> Options dialogs at present, but the View Options name is too generic.
> How about "Enable/Disable Views"?

Doesn't sound like a proper main menu entry to me. Just as awkward to
translate to other languages.

> Alternatively, we could just merge the Display Options and View Options
> dialogs
> into one (probably named View Options).  Neither of them are very large.

That sounds good to me!

> A more radical idea would be to change the noun from "Views" to
> "Cameras", which IMO
> are a bit more descriptive.  We'd then have a "Cockpit Camera" rather than a
> "Cockpit View" etc.

Also ok. But it could still be merged into a single dialog then.
Disadvantage of renaming "view" to "camera" though is that plenty of
places would need to be adapted or things get inconsistent. There are
also lots of aircraft which install custom "views" ("jump seat view",
"radio panel view", ...). So, things get messy. And I think "camera"
even sounds odd for some of our current "views": would the "copilot
view" be renamed to "copilot camera"? Should aircraft provide custom
"radio panel cameras"? Hmm ;-).

Personal taste: I'd keep the views named as "views" and just merge the
dialogs.

cheers,
Thorsten