Am 05.10.2012 12:53, schrieb James Turner:
> On 5 Oct 2012, at 11:32, Alexis Bory wrote:
>
>> When you do that code reading (as I do it currently for the engines) it
>> appears that at least some crucial parts are not such a woodoo and it
>> appears that adding features to improve the FDM capabilities is not such
>> a crazy idea. For that we would only need to understand precisely the
>> whole existing system/code and document it, then design our features and
>> get help from a C++ expert for the writing. We can do that.
> Just to say, there are some pending merge requests to add some Yasim
> features, but we have an issue that since none of the current C++ developers
> own, or are experts in Yasim, we're reluctant to be the person who merges
> such changes, and potentially introduces subtle regressions.
>
> Obviously this is chicken-and-egg, since no one can become expert enough in
> the code to become a maintainer :)
I undestand your issues, but  I believe Yasim suffers more from features
not being added than from a breakage now and then. I remember some Yasim
additions in the past that weren't persued anymore (e.g.  work on the
gear-Ground interaction, or more recent, the propeller feathering
feature, which I would highly appreciate).
> So, I'm more than happy to apply patches *providing* I can be convinced they
> are sane+reasonable from a pure code perspective (happy to help with that,
> too, if people are new to C++), and providing we have some assurance that a
> representative sample of yasim aircraft are unchanged or improved by the
> patch. Suggestions for that means in practice, are most welcome!
I'm afraid I can't comment on the C++ side, the only thing I can do is
test the additions afterwards, or try to apply the patches.
> Otherwise I worry, given the nature of the solver, we'll keep optimising the
> solver for some aircraft, and making other existing aircraft worse - until
> someone tests them, and announced that they're no longer working.
Well I think the solver does quite well in most cases, there are some
features I like to have, like a means to adjust the propwash effect on
the control surfaces, or the gain of  stick forces with increasing speed
and the aforementioned Propeller feathering.