> I'm not sure if the settings suggested there still work with current
> drivers, but it's a start.

Nope - the available options for the newer driver are quite different. Also,
the problem is not that the PowerMizer defaults to adaptive - it doesn't, I can
change its setting. It just never makes use of performance levels 2 and 3 -
which is what I'd need.

Hooray came up with the idea that power management might have to do something
with it - judging by other people's posts, the behaviour that the performance
level never goes all the way even with prefer max. performance set seems to be
normal when running under battery - so does the driver perhaps think it runs
under battery even if in reality it doesn't? Unfortunately right now I've
gnome3 installed which has zilch in terms of configuration of power management,
so I probably need to wait for Monday to get the bandwidth to install KDE and
see if that makes a difference. Or is there a quicker way to test this?

> Just to say that if you have a serious cloud coverage (with or whithout
> rembrandt) you'll never get more than 30 fps and more likely 15 fps.

It's abysmally bad - worse than with my old GPU - I'm seeing like 3-4 fps in
minimal atmospheric light scattering, no clouds. The GeForce 8600M used to
crunch this with 16-20 fps. :-) So it's definitely not just FG performance.

* Thorsten