Ok, I see now that in simgear-2.10.tar.bz2 the top level file "version"
does report 2.10.0 but the simgear/version.h file is saying 2.8.0

So my question are:

1. for an out-of-source build, why is the build system writing files in the
source tree?  Can we fix that?
2. what is the proper cmake fix here so it doesn't happen in the future?

Thanks,

Curt.