On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, BARANGER Emmanuel wrote:

> Geneb wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, they're still distributing it.  Games typically don't
>> get an official "EOL" like other products do.
>> They do still support it through their website although further
>> development ceased when they closed the ACES studio and sold the ESP
>> assets to Lockheed-Martin.

> No ! ESP is just an SDK by M$ And the work of Lockheed Martin is absolutly
> separate of FS X. FS X and Prepar3D are totaly different. Lockheed Martin
> also promises no compatibility with various X Addons FS. And ESP is free.
> Lockheed Martin did not buy anything.

ESP is _not_ just an SDK.  It's the core of both FSX and Prepar3D.  It's a
simulation environment builder.  Version 1.0 of Prepar3D is, with the
exception of GUI changes, IDENTICAL to FSX.

FSX was built USING ESP v1.0.  ESP WAS a commercial product offering.
Only the SDK side (called SimConnect) is "free".  Note that ESP v1.0 still
shows up on my MSDN subscription.  It's a four DVD set.

Lockheed isn't guaranteeing compatibility because they do not want to be
limited in what changes can be made to the core system.  Their attitude is
that if it works, great!  If not, can't help ya, sorry.

Lockheed DID buy ESP from Microsoft, regardless of whether or not you
believe it.  This sale was also a contributing factor to the ACES Studio
(the group within MS that was responsible for FSX) being disbanded.  Many
of them are now working for Lockheed.

There were also a number of companies building commercial simulation
products (not entertainment products) around ESP that were understandably
furious when they were cut off from ESP without warning when the assets
were sold to Lockheed.  I know of at least one company that was seriously
considering legal action before deciding to just walk away from the
market.  (and no, I'm not going to name the company.)

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/ff798293.aspx

Congrats, you found SDK docs.  Woo.

>> Yes, by Microsoft.
> No by Lockheed Martin. FS X is still available magazin because there are
> still boxes. This is normal, many user are left on FS FS 9 and refused FS X.

Wow.  Do you just wander around pulling random "facts" out of thin air
whenever you think it'll make you look good?  The boxed copies of FSX that
are being sold by Amazon retailers are NOT coming from Lockheed, they're
coming from Microsoft.  Yes, it may be existing stock, but it sure as hell
ain't coming from Lockheed.

> It should be noted also that Prepar3D fixes many problems of FS X. Like what
> it was possible :)

That's because the group working on Prepar3D doesn't have any
mouth-breathing MBA types incessantly screwing with them.

Also understand that P3D is a _training_ product, while FSX is an
_entertainment_ product.  They even state in the EULA (pfft!) that P3D is
NOT to be used for "entertainment purposes".  (I'll say that this may have
changed - I haven't messed around with P3D for a couple of years).  That's
why until recently a copy would cost you $499.  Within the past year or so
they've come out with an "Academic" license for $49.  The only difference
is that it watermarks the video with the P3D logo.  If you want to
experiement with P3D, you can buy a developer license for $10 a month.

Wow.  I just checked the website and they've totally redone it.  It's no
longer $499 for a "normal" copy, they've dropped it to $199.

Myself and the people I hang out with are VERY serious sim geeks.  We do
crazy crap like scratch build 737 flight decks and rebuild wrecked jets
for giggles.  Anything that can affect how we do what we do is of EXTREME
interest.  That's why I've got a pretty good handle on what went on with
Lockheed and ESP.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007