On 4 Mar 2013, at 07:43, Vic Marriott <vic...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Personally, I use 'ctrl' a lot when making my own shortcuts (outside FG). I'm
> sure I can't be the only Mac user to do this. An example: If you were to
> allocate 'ctrl+s' to a common FG function, using 'ctrl+s' sends my Mac to
> 'Sleep' wether I am using an application or not. Perhaps it would be better
> to go with the 'cmd' key on Macs.
>
> I think removing old, out of date functions to make room for up to date ones
> is a good idea though.

Vic, I think you missed a key line in my original email. To be fair, it was
parenthesised.

On Mac, the relevant (system-wide, universally-accepted) modifier for the kind
of shortcuts I'm discussing, it NOT *Ctrl* - it's the 'Command' key, formerly
know as the 'Apple' key. I can take a strong bet you don't have lots of custom
bindings on your Mac for 'Cmd-Q, Cmd-C, Cmd-Z' because you would find it quite
hard to quit, copy or undo in 90% of applications you use, using the keyboard.

The Ctrl key-binding space on Linux / Windows, and the equivalent Cmd/Apple
space on Mac, are assumed by pretty much everybody to drive application
specific shortcuts for GUI items - what I'm proposing would be to attempt to
align FlightGear with that behaviour.

James