> If you just want a quick and dirty way to read one property, we have
> getprop / setprop - for any other use, you should be doing what the API
> already supported; getting a props.Node object for the leaf, and then
> manipulating it with no further string/path handling.

> Using getprop on the one hand does not allow getting a property
> converted to a given type and on the other hand is tedious to use for
> more than one property, as one has to assemble the according property
> paths (which is definitely less efficient than using a relative method).

If there is even a slight performance concern, the only justification I ever
see for not using getprop() / setprop() is if you explicitly require to set a
variable type.

Assembling a property path by string manipulation may be in theory less
appealing, but it is in practice 3 to 10 times faster than using the props
module - I have made several benchmark tests, all leading to the same result.
Large-scale property manipulation from Nasal is performance hungry and should
be avoided if possible by using Nasal-internal variables instead, and if it
needs to be done, getprop() /setprop() offer significantly superior performance.

If you dig a bit in the mailing list archive, there should be a post with the
actual benchmark test results.

* Thorsten