Stuart

General advice that I can find is that GLSL is designed as a linear program:
conditionals and loops are best avoided:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2614622/tips-for-efficient-glsl-code

Here's some stuff on textures.

http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/Texturing/Tutorial%2014.html

I don't think the shape matters as much as the overall size. As I understand
it, GLSL optimizes the storage. In this case new the texture would be 4
times as big. I don't think that's optimal, but on the other hand, it's not
pushing the envelope. Do you use a shader analyser? I use the AMD one:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/gpu-shaderanaly
zer/

might help to decide which route to take

HTH

Vivian