> ..my oversimplification: http://wiki.flightgear.org/YASim "guesses how
> it flies from how it looks", while http://wiki.flightgear.org/JSBSim
> "knows how it flies and tries to show us how that looks", e.g. "stalls
> are assymetrical in YASim but (still?) symmetrical in JSBSim."
>
> ..if I guess FG progress correctly, we need to model downwash
> correctly, and if you want assymetrical stalls in JSBSim, you need 2
> halved JSBSim models per plane so each wing etc surface calculation is
> run independently.

I have not tried modeling a piston aircraft in quite some time. [Hal Engel's
P-51D does stall in either direction, does it not?] In any case, it should
be possible to model aerodynamic effects from the propeller in the XML model
file for any JSBSim aircraft (in the <aerodynamics> section) - effects that
would affect stalling, I suspect. It's not that JSBSim doesn't support
asymmetric stalls - JSBSim doesn't *not* support it. But, I'm not sure
anyone has crafted the aerodynamic/propulsion interactions that would effect
that. This isn't necessarily the fault of users, either. We (JSBSim
development community) would ideally make available more examples and
documentation.

JB