>       - a baseline texture set that is of adequate, but not high quality
> (e.g. max 1024x1024 size for landcover, or something else agreed to be
> good enough) to be included by default in the installers
>       (this would also be friendly to people on older hardware with limited
> VRAM)
>       - high res (and even, ultra-high res) sets, plus a DDS set for those
> who want it, which can be downloaded + updated later via terra-sync.
>       (of course we can have discussions about if the default set should be
> really low quality or quite high - but the point is to have levels we
> can switch between centrally )

I think this is somewhat tied to the question of how the 3.0 default should
look like. If the idea is (as has been suggested before) that ALS becomes the
default rendering framework, then there are really no hires or ultra hires
textures needed since the higher quality level build details procedurally down
to cm-scale anyway, so we could have a limit of 1024x1024 textures in the
package without any loss of visual quality.

On the other hand, if ALS is not supposed to be default, I wouldn't save
harddisk space by reducing the visual quality - we want to make a good first
impression for the user. So I would get rid of redundant lowres textures which
have a hires equivalent then.

I suppose dds can be factored out in any case, as there seems to be a strong
sentiment that dds cannot be default as it doesn't run on Linux systems with
non-proprietary drivers.

In general, I would definitely like to keep as many textures as possible in the
devel version - when designing regional textures, I find that I really need
material to work with, and many textures can be applied to a different purpose
after a color transformation. Also, it's going to be rather difficult to
package regional textures region by region as many of them are shared across
different regions.

Hm, I guess in the end I work too much with terrain textures to be really
comfortable with a major change in the way we distribute them - I can see the
redundant lowres bits go, and I can see that the dds set is easily separable,
but I don't really see a grand design beyond. May be just my personal bias.

* Thorsten