Hi Bill
Take a look at the 737 panel and the 747 panel.
The 737 panel is 2D which is a texture only panel.
This panel is a complete pilots panel with both pilots
and copilots instruments.To see the whole panel use
ctrl-f5 & f6 to move up and down and ctrl f7 & f8 to
move side to side.You can try clicking on the auto pilot
panel to see hot spots working although a lot of them
no longer work due to changes to FG code since the
panel was built.
The 747 panel is a 3D panel in this case the instruments are
3D objects with textures applied.The 747 as far as I know has
no hotspots but that is because they have not been done not
because they can't be done.
If you want to check for hotspots on a panel in an aircraft press
ctrl-C(I think it is) and yellow squares will appear on the panel were
the hotspots are.
Both types of panel have there pro's & con's but most people here
favour 3D so I will just go along with the crowd.
Once you have had a look at the panels you can check out there
XML files to see how each type is constructed.

HTH

Cheers
Innis