On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:48:51 -0600, Curtis wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Frank Olaf wrote:
>
> > Curtis L. Olson wrote:

..are the southern half of all N60 thru N60.50 tiles valid?
These tiles would have "known canted elevations"?
The northern half of S60 would have the same problem,
or do we have a lucky tile corner naming convention?

> > > For areas that have absolutely no SRTM data, we fall back to the
> > > 1-km globe data set.

..the 0.9.5 scenery is all 1km, we try to do this fallback in the
0.9.7 scenery?

> > > This is easy to do in the current code on a tile-by-tile basis,
> > > but hard to do if particular datapoints within a tile are bad.
> >
> > Since the break is more or less where the srtm data ends, I would
> > suspect that the problem only is that the point from which to use
> > alternative data sources is set too far north.  If such is the case,
> >  it should be easily fixable, no?
>
> The problem is that SRTM provides data for those areas in question.
> Coming up with an automatic algorithm to decide how and when to blend
> data source is not necessarily straight forward. If someone wants to
> take on the project of fixing SRTM data problems and blending with
> other  data sources, you are welcome to do it.

..I still haven't wiped my 0.9.5 scenery, so I can play tile mixing
games with those 2 sceneries, if that can be of any use.

..on the 0.9.7 scenery, we used SRTM data, was the 1km data too used,
or was it discarded?

.."one way" is weigh those 2 elevation data sets gradually against each
other across the N60|S60 borders, from say 59.45 to say 60.15, to make
a 30nm wide "transition tile band" to smooth out the errors, we oughtta
be able to make it look about as credible as the old scenery.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: