On Friday 21 Jan 2005 14:52, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > FlightGear uses the most realistic flightmodel it can and as such the
> > helicopter has to be finely controlled in 3-axes at all times to remain
> > in the hover / slow flight (As in real-life)
> >
> > Dave Martin
>
> About the FDM for the Heli, I would not mind having the opinion of a
> real Heli pilot (hopefully there is one on this list ?).
> The only reference point I have, is a few weeks flying the Bell 206 in
> Microsoft flight simulator, and that was 5 years ago, but in Fligh Gear,
> I feel that two things are "wrong".
>
> 1) If I climb to say 2,000 feet then set collective pitch to 0%, and
> maintain a constant and very high speed of say 120 or 140 knots, it
> nonetheless takes litterally several minutes before I reach the ground,
> almost feeling like I didn't zeroed the collective pitch at all. Feels
> really weird.

It 'floats' quite a bit; it would be worth asking the opinion of a real-world
heli pilot on this (several frequent this list).

> 2) If I climb to say 2,000 feet again, then turn the engine off, I
> instantly lose control big time, going all over the place, instead of
> entering "auto-rotation" (sorry for the French word, don't know how it's
> called in English) and let me land smoothly.

AFAIK the bo105 doesn't yet have a modelled clutch so when you cut the power,
the engine stays connected to the rotor and causes it to slow.

> The bo105 looks about the same size/kind of heli as the Bell 206, so I
> was expecting the heli in FG to behave in the same way as the Bell 206
> in MS Flight Simulator.

The bo105 is actually quite different to a Bell 206; things such as
non-flapping blades on the bo105 give it very different flight
characteristics.

Dave Martin