Geoffrey Frost wrote:
I created a .dxf model of a red balloon using openfx software, and loaded it
into flight gear according to David Megginson's "Mini-HOWTO: 3D Aircraft
Models in FlightGear". I followed the instructions listed below:

The easiest way to load a new model is to set the property at startup with
the --prop: command-line option; for example, to use a 3D aircraft model
that you have installed in $FG_ROOT/Models/my-cessna.wrl, you could invoke
FlightGear like this (under Unix-like systems):

fgfs --prop:/sim/model/path=Models/red_balloon.dxf

The balloon appears as it should, however I only get a black image of the
balloon. I change the material settings in openfx to red, and the model
renders in red, and appears in openfx designer as red. I export the model as
a dxf file, but it appears in Flight Gear as black. Can anyone tell me what
I am doing wrong. Thanks.

I don't know the DXF file format well, but I don't think it can export material settings like ambient, diffuse end specular color. Is there any other format to which you can export the model (like .obj or.3ds)?

Erik