In an effort to provide a central repository for placing models within the flightgear scenery Martin Spott and I have been working on a database system to handle the collection and storage of this data. The first stage of this project is now complete, and an initial data set containing navaids for the entire planet, and a handful of other models is now available.

DOWNLOADING THE DATA

The database can be found at http://fgfsdb.stockill.org/ with downloadable scenery add-ons and extra shared models available from http://fgfsdb.stockill.org/downloads/

CONTRIBUTING MORE OBJECTS

If you wish to help populate the world with interesting objects (yes, we really are aiming for total world domination here :-) then we'll need the following details:

    * Full name of author (required if not already known)

    * EMail of author (required if not already known, will not be
      published, just as a reference)

    * additional short comment on the author (optional)

    * any sort of explicit notice that the submission is covered by
      the GPL, we won't accept a single submission which lacks this
      notice (required)

    * the 3D model itself in a format supported by FlightGear or a
      reference to a model already present in the database (required)

    * Position (if appropriate. Either lat/on, or Ordnance Survey
      grid - other grids can be added on request)

    * heading (if appropriate),

    * country (if known to the author),

    * elevation (if known to the author),

    * a 320x240 thumbnail containing an advantageous view on the
      model/object (not required but preferred).

Facilities to handle the uploading of your own model data are not yet complete, but the data can currently be submitted in 2 ways:

1) By Email

Send a message containing the info above, to (sorry for the anti spam measures, I'm sure you understand):

fgfsdb at stockill dot org

or

Martin dot Spott at mgras dot net

2) By anonymous FTP

Put all the info described above into an archive (.zip or .tar.gz format) and upload it to:

ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/incoming/

Comments on improvements/additions/errors can be sent to:

fgfsdb at stockill dot org

--
Jon Stockill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]