On Tuesday 08 February 2005 00:47, Richard Keech wrote:
> How do I determine (short of first principles or using TerraGear) which
> scenery set I need
> for particular airports?

I find that using terrasync is a great way to get the scenery for a particular
airport. It downloads scenery on the fly (pun intended). Execute this
alongside FlightGear:

nice terrasync -p 5500 -s scenery.flightgear.org::Scenery -d Scenery

The -d option tells what directory the scenery should be downloaded to. I'd
recommend to set this to some directory in your homedir. This directory has
to be added to FG_SCENERY, and FlightGear has to output it's position on port
5500 with this option:

--atlas=socket,out,1,localhost,5500,udp

When you start at an airport that you haven't got any scenery for yet you
_will_ end up in the middle of the ocean the first time. Terragear should
start to download the new scenery, wait for it to finish, quit FlightGear,
and restart at the same airport. The scenery should now be there.

There is a readme in source/utils/TerraSync/README.txt

> Why do I have to specify a runway when I specify a new airport; don't
> airports have a default runway?

In preferences.xml the default runway is 28R on KSFO. When you specify a
different airport you override the default airport with the --airport option.
If you don't also override the default runway with the --runway option,
runway 28R (from preferences.xml) will be used, but of course the new airport
that you chose may or may not have a runway 28R.

--
Roy Vegard Ovesen