Jeremy,
Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably download
the cd images as $$$ is tight all our income goes into
food and paying the mortgage with little left over for
things like buying CD sets. A few years ago I would
have just ordered of the net or run on down to my
local software emporium and plunked down the cash. Now
my "local" software place is at least 100 miles away!

I use getright downloader so even if the connection
closes I just redial and keep going so I can just
download all night and part of the day. I downloaded
about 1/2 a GIG last week prior to the crash and it
was not too bad. I've got a full spindle of CD-R and
lots of time. Too bad I didn't know about the primary
partition deal as I followed the instructions for
partition magic and I am sure it "suggested" moving
the fat32 partition up. Well that is over as I have
recovered all my files from CD and what I could
salvage with LINUX. I now have everything I need to do
a full install all over again if need be, took me a
while to find my monitor driver, scsi drivers for my
scanner etc but I now have a list and a few CD's with
all program files and patches etc. Yesterday I had two
HDD's all formated and running in less than an hour
less loading all my software programs so any disaster
will only cost a few hours time now. It was a blessing
in disguise as I had put off backing up and making
CD's of my old system drivers and all that stuff.

I'll look at distrowatch.com and see what is suggested
but it seems since you either run Debian or know a lot
about it that may be my choice. Hope you will not mind
if I pick your brain if I get stuck getting it going.
Could I use XOSL boot loader? I had that installed the
other day and it seemed easy to use and modify.

Well it's after midnight and I have to be up by six to
feed our flock of ducks, parrot, and finches in the
morning so I'll drop a note as to what package I chose
to dnload later.

Thanks for all the help,
Kristin