On Thursday, 3 March 2005 17:52, Mike Rawlins wrote:
> Thanks Jon.  But how does one access the DME in
> Flightgear?  I see that Oakland (KOAK) has a VORTAC,
> frequency 116.80.  I set NAV1 to 116.80 while on the
> runway there, and don't think anything like a DME
> engaged. KSFO has a VOR/DME on 155.80.  Does one get
> distance from this frequency?

Firstly what aircraft are you using?
I suggest you use the default 172 which has a DME readout instrument right at
the bottom of the radio stack. Not all the aicraft in FG have DME readout
instruments.

The DME readout instrument in the c172p looks similar to the KDI 572 :
https://www3.bendixking.com/static/catalog/viewproductdetails.jsp?pid=280

Set NAV1 to 116.80 and then switch the DME intrument to N1 (NAV1)
This will show you the distance to the DME equipment tuned on NAV1 as well as
your ground speed towards it and the estimated time enroute.
Of course it will only work for VORs/ILSs that are DME equiped.

BTW :
I did notice a minor bug/problem with the DME instrument - it didn't pick up
the new frequency I tuned into NAV1 - I had to flip from N1 to HLD and back
to N1 before it would display anything.

Paul