On August 30, 2005 11:59 pm, RtX wrote:
> Could someone elighten me on the --enable-real-weather-fetch option.
> How does it work? At what intervals does it download weather? Could
> this be the reason why sometimes in the sim, my aircraft will
> drastically shake moreso than I would expect turbulence to work? Will
> it generate rain / snow?
>
> Thank you all.
> --
> RtX...

I do not know exactly how the weather fetch system work, but basically, the
system requests a server for METAR info and uses server's replies to adjust
the weather in the sim.  The weather fetch system request data from the
server every five minutes.  However, the actual age of the data can be as old
as a few hours.  Thus, if a three hours old METAR data on the server just got
updated, the weather in FlightGear would turn from good to stormy weather
instantaneously during the next weather fetch.
As to your question regarding the drastic shaking motion, that is most
probably due to sudden changes in enivornment variables during weather
fetches.  To my understanding, the weather fetch system only downloads the
METAR info for the cloest METAR station to your position.  Thus, when moving
from airport A to airport B, the METAR info from airport A will remain with
you until the next weather fetch, even if you have reached airport B already.
It would be better, of course, if the weather fetch system would download the
METAR data for all the surrourding METAR stations; because this would allow
the enivornment variables can change gradually as one moves from one location
to another.

Ampere