Hi All,

I did not copy any part of a preceding email because there is so much under this subject.  So here goes.

I gladly donate my category system for aircraft.

I peeked at the Wiki and it has a lot there already.

I have two major questions.

First, can we and do we need to define aircraft status?  (See next long discussion

Second shouldn't comments and status be subdivided based on what it effects within an aircraft "model"?   (Long discussion below)

I think a "complete" aircraft and development of the same can be divided in too some key area's, needing different talents, and potentially interesting to different individuals.  i.e. perfect for GPL development if the WIKI can be used has a needs list and the standard CVS methodology for updating the aircraft.  The key is who defines status and how are the aircraft verified, etc.  Assuming that the final goal of an aircraft is to be completely finished and included in the standard release package or GPL-hanger.

Through probable lack of knowledge I see the aircraft model as having a basic structure like this.

Aircraft
    3 D Model
        Basic Model (how it appears in flight)
            Textures
            Accuracy Fit and Finish
        Animations (there are examples of these on some aircraft and others have some or none implemented)
            Landing Gear
            Flaps
            Rudder
            Propeller
        Sounds

    Engines
        Propellers

    FDM   (this has multiple choices and some models have be implemented in more than one)
        YASIM  (appears to be the easiest to create based on documentation and questions I asked previously)
        JSBSIM (has a tool to build a basic model based on size and specific operating characteristics)

    Cockpit
        2D - Instruments
        3D - Instruments
        HUD
        Radar

    Systems
        Electrical
        Auto Pilot
        Other
            Vacuum
            Hydraulic
            Static
            Pitot

    Sub-models ( I have seen or read about the following examples)
        Contrails
        Weapons (of course)

So a minimally aircraft needs a 3D model, the generic cockpit, generic systems and an FDM in order to "fly" under flightgear.   Status PRELIM

 If you add actual Engine(prop) and a specific FDM for the aircraft would that be status TEST.

To achieve an ALPHA status the aircraft would need at least some animation and an accepted specific FDM. (who tests/accepts)

For a BETA status add a specific Cockpit and Sounds.

For a RELEASE status what is minimal requirements?

What Status for a plane that has, photo realistic model, everything defined specifically for it and accurate.  100% GOLD  (like in classic cars) ;-)

Ray Mc