..er, wrong button, let's try again.

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:13:53 +0100, MPCEE wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hello Arnt:
>
> The PC: 'knoppix Xmodule=radeon' does not work and I get the input
> signal out of range box again!

..duh!  Try  'knoppix xmodule=radeon', all lower case.  "dmesg" says?

> I have been back to the Debian web site again to download the AMD64
> architecture, but it has gone from their site!!! Anyway, I think that
> until someone has identified or recognised the ATI hardware, I will
> leave off this download, as I can't save it anyway. The PC does not
> have floppy drives; neither does most lap tops these days! We don't
> have USB 'key rings or the like either to save on!!! It can save it to
> the hard drive, but there is a cautionary note about having to load

..beware we are _very_ cautious, I have never tried putting knoppix
data on ntfs, but considering the way I usually stomp ntfs into wee
corners, I'd be surprised  to hear of failures.

> something else from knoppix to do that, so decided not to venture down
> that avenue.

..ok,  all your laptops run 32bit and are ntfs in the worst case, and
even ntfs can be resized quite safely, in my experience.  First back
up and defragment etc the ntfs from Wintendo, then boot knoppix
and in the K menu go find System -> QTParted.

..once you play around it, you'll find it quite intuitive.  Now, since
you run Wintendo for a living, I recommend you restrain your urge to
stomp it hard into some wee corner, leave it say 15% of air.
For knoppix config and command history data, 1MB upwards will
do fine, it be vfat or ext3 on the hard disk or a cheapo usb key.

..Knoppix will need 2.5GB, use the new freed space for ext3 and
GNU/Linux and put Grub in the  master boot record, so it boots both
os'es with a nice boot menu.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: