On Sonntag 20 November 2005 21:06, Erik Hofman wrote:
> Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:
> > I have been using FlightGear since 0.9.4, and all previous versions of
> > FlightGear ran fine on my old motherboard with i810.  So, I'm sure his
> > i845 would have no problem with FlightGear.  I can bet that 0.9.8 would
> > run fine on his machine while 0.9.9 doesn't.
>
> Did you try disabling all of the new rendering features like shadows and
> 3d clouds?
Erik, it happens when the render texture does its initialization.
As far as I can see this is not a problem how flightgear call the glx
functions. It is just that the client uses some glx request the x server does
not understand.
But given that the x-server announces that it has pbuffers as extension
available it should accept that glx request instead of bailing out ...
Since the Xorg/Mesa glx code uses the same codepath for glx-1.4 pbuffer and
sgixpbuffer, the way how it is implemented in rendertexture will most
propably not the problem.
In fact, at the time I used the r200 driver, before we started using the
glx-1.4 pbuffer code, I had the exactly same problem with the sgipbuffers.
In summary, I believe that this is a Xorg Problem.

Since some components, namely the 3d clouds initialize rendertexture even if
it is unused, just disabling would not help.

I tried to reorganize that code not to initialize until it is really required,
but that was more problematic than I could solve in that short time I had for
that task.

May be somebody wants to look into that stuff and initialize render texture
only if it is really required.
That would at least help those people who can live without the 3d clouds ...

    Greetings

           Mathias

--
Mathias Fröhlich, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]