On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:59:27 +0100, MPCEE wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hello:
>
> I can really echo your sentiments, as a Windows user. With four
> computers here (Windows XP) I do not have an option to change them
> from a work point of view, but I have recently been seeking an
> alternative to run FG.

..that was all the Knoppix noise a while back which we took offlist. ;o)

> With the help of Arnt, we have been trying to

..you _did_ try the 64bit Ubuntu Live CD on your 64bit iron?

> get one of the computers to accept something other than Windows. We
> are finding it very difficult to cater for different pieces of
> hardware and their compatibility to operate. A developer will have the
> same problem to try to simulate a similar scenario of the problem, if
> he/she does not have the same hardware/software.
>
> To be able to offer a developer a specific problem that I as a user am
> having difficulties with, so that a solution can be found for all,
> does not pose a difficulty. It is a matter of pointing the user in the
> right direction to get the information that is needed. This is what is
> missing for someone like me and with time on my hands, to an extent,
> but wanting to give something back in return. It is felt that one is
> left to one's own devices to get on with it. The number of questions
> that I have posed could have been reduced if I new where to look;
> whether it be a problem or how to do something. Something could be
> added to the website giving information on how to find one's way
> around FG with little explanatory notes is all that is needed.
>
> If it is necessary to tap into the Windows' user's market place, to
> get the feedback that is desperately needed, then just a little help
> is required to know where to start looking within FG and the
> complexities of many different contributors that make FG what it is.

..one very frustrating thing with Vintage Wintendo Users is their
traditional failure to give _accurate_ info, and their inability to do
_exactly_ as told to, to get that info.  Instead, they have a way
of glossing over the gory details in the very same way Microsoft
does in their "error messages" AFAIRT and of giving up way too
early on facing "challenging choises."
And, Microsoft wants it this way, for commercial reasons.

..now, mail me the log files from your 64bit test, off list, we're not
done with ATI's on 64bit iron.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: