On 12/11/11 02:46, Ian MacArthur wrote:
> OK, maybe not VT100. Maybe VT220 then?  :-)

        Ooo, pixels!

        I actually did render a mandelbrot on a VT220 back in 1986 once.. my
first
        unix program, and it was all rendered with those ESC sequences. Took
forever.
        Shot an animation with a bolex. It was green+white pixels.. fun/crazy
times.

>>     Actually, IMHO it'd work fine for rich text.
>>     Not sure I can think of a reason why it's worse
>>     than any other.
>
> Agreed. The only reason it's worse than any other is that it will (inevitably)
> trigger a cascade of "Why did you not use markup <X> for this?" type
> questions,
> where <X> is one of a number of options. nroff anyone?

        LOL, I imagine we can add that too (HTML was suggested, and perhaps
        a good option for the future as well)

> This sounds interesting to me. Though I'm not sure if I'd ever use it,
> it does seem like a useful feature and might be quite cheap to add...

        It is pretty cheap, and fast; in my app the reports can be
        quite large, so speed was important.

        Doing copy/paste from such an arrangement has the same issues
        as '@'s though; you have to remove them when reading back data
        from the widget, so that the ANSI sequences don't end up in
        e.g. a user's copy/paste operation.