On 03/01/13 01:33, MacArthur, Ian (Selex ES, UK) wrote:
> What Mike said: As soon as *anything* in SVN changes after a release, we need
> to "bump" the version numbers in some way.

        Or, just change it immediately after release.
        Changing the version number is itself a change, and would therefore
bump the svn version#.

        If we do a release of 4.5.6 and its svn# is 6666,
        then we immediately change the version# to 4.5.7 and check it in
(svn#6667)
        and from there we tweak away.

> Ideally, I suppose, we might bump it to a "temporary" number,

        Right, I think linux (or something) used even release numbers for dev
(.0, .2, etc),
        and odd numbers for release versions (eg. .1, .3, etc).

        This way if you built an app against a dev version, one could tell
        from the FLTK version number.

        Or, we could work the SVN version number into Enumerations.H
        (eg. FL_SCCS_VERSION?) which might be nice to have anyway so that
        someone with an app can see the FLTK version /and/ SCCS #.

        I think svn allows for hook scripts to be triggered whenever there's
        a checkin for this kind of thing. Pretty sure cvs had this too.

        Not sure what that number becomes if we ever move to git, though..