> Yup - that's not a bug, that's a feature.
>
> Basically, what it comes down to is if you do not set a boxtype for a
> widget, it is your responsibility to ensure its background is
> consistently updated.
> Once upon a time, this was a performance issue (though that time may be
> past now...)

Interesting. I've used this stuff for years, and managed never to hit that
issue before :-\

> You can see a similar effect in the test/minimum demo, for example,
> where it is the documented behaviour...
>
> Basically, you need to ensure the widget background is redrawn. The
> "easy" way to do that is to ensure the widget always has a boxtype, even
> if only a "flat" box. Using "No Box" is very much a special case and to
> be avoided unless you want to do the extra work of fixing the background
> yourself.
>
> Attached is a revised version of your demo that "works" by using a flat
> box, at least for the very simple case the demo shows. Wether or not
> this is appropriate for your actual use-case I can't say...!

Fair enough. I understand how things work now. However, is there a simple way
to make the colour of the flat box follow the colour of the layer beneath it?
If I change the colour of the group box its a pain if I also have to separately
change the background colour of each control in the group.

Steve