Hi Ian,
microwindows is a piece coming from the past.
I have already realized several machines running with AMD Alchemy (MIPS), more
or less same horsepower as the actual one.
It was the usual work of putting together pieces (microwindows + nano-X,
truetype fonts and so on),
but it works.
Microwindows + nano-X actually is not a project with as much as activity as
fltk, but it's working.

Maybe another solution could be better now, but I already had to switch
hardware platform as Alchemy is end of life product :
new schematics, new bios, new kernel (Alchemy=2.4.x, PPC=2.6.x), new kernel
drivers... and note that MIPS=little endian, PPC = big endian.
I just had sufficient new things, to think of throwing away microwindows +
nanox.

I was surely tempted of trying X11 server, but now I cannot do this for time
constraints.
Don't know kdrive, but I'm curious and sooner or later will try it.

Regards
Lucio