Another good read on the context and history of Smalltalk is Alan Kay's "The
Early History of Smalltalk":

http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/contrib/EarlyHistoryST.html

Simon
From: fluid-work [fluid-work-boun...@lists.idrc.ocad.ca] on behalf of Bates,
Simon [sba...@ocadu.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:41 PM
To: Fluid Work ‎[fluid-w...@fluidproject.org]‎
Subject: RE: This week's community meeting

At standup this morning, Dana was asking if there would be good places to read
more about the Smalltalk programming language.

Dan Ingalls' article "Design Principles Behind Smalltalk" is a very nice
overview of some of the forces and motivations in the design of the language:

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/smalltalk.html

In terms of introductions to the actual language itself, it's a little harder
to find satisfying online material. The best resource, I think, is the book
"Smalltalk-80: The Language And Its Implementation". A scanned PDF is available
online and the first few chapters introduce the language:

http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/BlueBook/Bluebook.pdf

There is a quite nice "Terse Guide to Squeak" (the Smalltalk version I will
demo today) but it's not an intro or tutorial:

http://squeak.org/documentation/terse_guide/

If I find other good resources, I'll definitely pass them along. (For those at
IDRC in person, I brought in my copy of the Smalltalk-80 book, if you're
interested in taking a look.)

Simon