Alan, this isn’t a hijack at all - it’s a good summary of the underlying issues
with the different technologies we’re using for authoring documentation.

Straight HTML is compelling because:

- For those who are new to HTML, they can use as little as they feel
comfortable with and still feel like they are contributing.
- HTML is widely established - lots of good resources to learn from.
- HTML is more understood as “what is seen on the web”. The author knows that
writing HTML is what will show up on a webpage.
- Authors wishing for more control over their content can use more advanced
styling and techniques (HTML is robust).

A few well documented Handlebars helpers would be beneficial, especially for
situations where the HTML structure is a bit trickier. The <figure>  and
bulleted list situation are perfect examples where a helper could make it
easier. Also makes it easier to maintain if we ever decided to change the way
the markup is done.

Aside: the term “Helper” is foreign to someone who isn’t familiar with coding.
The term “macro” is probably more widely understood and may do better at
communicating what we mean. Function names and documentation may want to use
this term instead.

As for the issues with Duplexing with Markdown- I managed to find a more
general solution that works further down the processing pipeline so there’s no
funky interactions between HTML and MD. So rather than dealing with the
problem, it's avoided all together. I guess this speaks to the issue at hand.

- Jon.

---
Jonathan Hung, Inclusive Designer
Email: jh...@ocadu.ca<mailto:jh...@ocadu.ca>