From: fluid-work
<fluid-work-boun...@lists.idrc.ocad.ca<mailto:fluid-work-boun...@lists.idrc.ocad.ca>>
 on behalf of Alan Harnum <ahar...@ocadu.ca<mailto:ahar...@ocadu.ca>>
Date: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 10:15 AM
To: Tony Atkins <t...@raisingthefloor.org<mailto:t...@raisingthefloor.org>>
Cc: Fluid Work <fluid-w...@fluidproject.org<mailto:fluid-w...@fluidproject.org>>
Subject: Re: Yeoman generator for Infusion projects

Hi Tony,

I'm still learning about how Yeoman does things, but I think these two pieces
are relevant to your question:

Composability (http://yeoman.io/authoring/composability.html) allows generators
to run other generators. So we could conceive of a structure like the following:
- generator-infusion
-generator-infusion-client
-generator-infusion-node
-generator-infusion-kettle

Sub-generators lets you have additional generators under one generator, to let
you run commands like "yo infusion:client" and scaffold a client-side component
or similar, a la "rails generate". It feels like Yeoman is de-emphasizing these
features since its recent rewrite and encouraging a focus on composability /
inheritance.

AFAICT a "generator" is simply the Yeoman convention for packaging a set of
template files and instructions for rendering them after taking input from the
user, along with other actions like running npm install, etc. They don't
conflict with each other unless they write files with the same name to the same
location or similar, so it's perfectly safe to run multiple generators in the
same directory when scaffolding – I believe this is expected usage to enable
the generation of boilerplate files based on input (instead of the cruder,
slower "code generation" of copying and pasting files / file contents).

I'll have a go at separating the current work into a "core" and a "client"
generator to see how that goes, and will be in a better position to discuss
composability / inheritance then.