I wondered how it worked, and appears to be a form of "mechanical hash function" -
https://toool.nl/images/e/e5/The_New_Master_Lock_Combination_Padlock_V2.0.pdf

"The number of combinations is unlimited, but the number of mechanically-possible states is markedly finite: 7,501 to be exact. mh likens this to the mechanical version of a hash function. I can't think of a more concise allegory for it."