Sol & all,
A few thoughts/experiences on how the independent book trade is going.
For used books I usually use Bibliofind which is an amazing connection to all
sorts of used bookstores. I have always been interested in used bookstores.
Recently, I bought a book called "The Art and Craft of Collage" by Simon
Larbalestier which was published a few years ago and went out of print very
quickly. I found five copies all priced differently on Bibliofind which has
independent as well as more web-based (commercial) bookstores. I try to support
the small stores when I can.

http://www.bibliofind.com/cgi-bin/texis.exe/s/search

As far as buying books locally, I do support the small store and have bought
three books (all the important Alfred Jarry stuff) from them recently.

Here in Maine also it's true that people worry about the local neighborhood
bookstore disappearing. However, recent reports in the newletter of the Maine
Writers & Publishers Alliance (where I volunteer a few hours a week) indicate
that they are doing just fine.

Reed