In a message dated 05/08/2000 1:01:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Patricia, I did take a look, and the thing on the 400,000-yr-old pigment
 finds was great. The range of color, that it was apparently used as body
 paint, the fact that painting predates the physical evolution of the
 species--all very interesting! Now I want pictures of the various
 colors-yellow, light red, dark red, pink, purple, black. Stylin!

>From the same article . . .

"New technology, art and ritual made possible the transformation to
anatomically modern humanity. The requirement for these technological and
behavioural "tools" seems to have been driven by a cold, dry period some
340,000 years ago that led to expansionof the Kalahari Desert, which in turn
broke up the forest land of southern Africa, causing big habitat changes and
adaptive challenges for early human populations."

Wonder what anatomical changes our new technology is presurring our genes to
make . .  . and art as a "behavioural tool", now I have to worry about what
art's doing to my genes? . . . What a great ideology for a new art movement.
Genetically friendly art. I like it.

Advertising is not genetically friendly! I'm suing.

I went to one of those caves in France, not Lascaux (spelling?) the most
famous one, it was off limits, but another one nearby. It's so amazing to
wander through this chilled dark cave and see the paintings flickering on the
walls. Feels like walking through the species' unconscious.

I also liked the aritcle on DuChamp . . . his lack of emotion has always
bothered me. He's been the pea under my mattress . . .

BP