o yeah and Ashes and Diamonds from Poland
How about Red
                 White
            and Blue (or are they too late?)

And of course of course my favorite film of all time (I've got dozens of those)
Andrei Rublev, by Tarkovsky
First saw it during a filmfest in SF, I was working graveyard shift, and staying
up all day to see movies, so they all have an extra crust of glitter for me now

AK