I would like to conclude my thoughts on Fluxus by returning to the idea
that I mentioned earlier, (and one that both Sol and George brought up
in their responses) that of cognitive intermedia. The general focus of
many Fluxus type works is on the process of meaning-making which
highlights the continuous deconstruction of established meanings and
the projection of new possibilities. This process is not actualized as
a means to achieve an end but as part of the act itself which is formed
through a self-perpetuating process. Most Fluxus works create a
potentially infinite play of associations and difference. The
relational nature of meaning production is evident in many Fluxus works
which stress the notion of differing situational interpretations. The
meaning evident through Fluxus events and objects shifts and changes
because they are tied to, and activated by the situations in which they
are viewed or enacted. Fluxus works not only recognize, but in fact
performativly activate the nature and workings of the concept of
difference. Works such as Alison Knowles' Performance Piece #8 (1965)
play off of the understanding that it is only through our own limited
view of difference and its workings, from within the operation of
language, culture, philosophy, etc., that we gain any glimpse of
cognitive and/or linguistic operations at all. The score for Knowles'
Performance Piece #8 creates such a context for engaging with
conceptual frames:

Divide a variety of objects into two groups. Each group is labeled
"everything." These groups may include several people. There is a third
division of the stage empty of objects labeled "nothing." Each of the
objects is "something." One performer combines and activates the the
objects as follows for any duration of time:

1. something with everything
2. something with nothing
3. something with something
4. everything with everything
5. everything with nothing
6. nothing with nothing

In this work, and others like it, the task that confronts the performer
is to directly engage with the materials at hand (both something and
nothing as Knowles calls them), to enact a perceptual process process
as the basis for action (the 6 listed actions all require a sense based
perception as an initiating point) and simultaneously carry out such
actions through one's cognitive filters (the performers understanding
of words such as something, nothing and everything).  The referential
nature of Fluxus works like Knowles' Performance Piece #8 reflects a
recognition of meaning as a construct of the particular framework, or
situation in which it is placed or occurred. This piece thus manifests
itself not as a series of fixed points but as a conditionally
determined field, bound up with contradiction or the potential for it.
The process of exploring such a field is initiated by a referential
whole, that is the intersection of both the score and the performer's
conceptual understandings,  and all of these elements ultimately
"makes" the work a possibility.

Such open ended pieces, as most Fluxus works are, are not intended to
create a new media or center, but instead aim to deflects us back to
one's starting point, the world itself with all of its vagueness,
dislocations and potentialities. The Fluxus investigation of the
concrete is a simple insistence on experience as an interaction between
the subject (viewer) and the object (the performance, the poem or the
work) which seeks to minimize the potential closure of play. This
emphasis on the concrete and a parallel absence of singular or dominant
abstract concepts or ideas, what might be though of as the conceptual
media, is enacted in Fluxus works as part of an attempt to extend
potential conceptual domains and the play of signification infinitely
into what I am calling a cognitive intermedia. The rejection of
hierarchies, fixed meaning, and denotative forms in Fluxus are all
related to an awareness of, and emphasis on the lack of a non-context
bound center, that is media, whether it be physical or cognitive. The
free or open play of meaning, through the substitutions of one
signifier for another, in Fluxus can no longer be called to a halt, or
grounded because it is only through the presence of a center, or media,
that the play of substitutions can be arrested. The lesson of this kind
of infinite play, as contained in Fluxus, is that the process of
unending substitutions is an act of life. The joy of such a recognition
is that traditional systematics are no longer valid. One's field of
awareness is of the potential for infinite possibilities of new and
differing meanings; in my way of thinking Fluxus is a paradigm or a way
of thinking and acting that offers us a wonderful possibility, a
possibility of a world where we can truly hear literature, read art and
see music.

Emmett Williams - Song of Uncertain Length, 1960

The performer, with a bottle or glass balanced on his head, walks or
runs about the stage singing  or speaking until the glass or bottle
falls off.

Suggested performance variation - go to a restaurant and order a
bottled beer when the beer arrives balance it on your head and walk
around the restaurant singing or speaking until the bottle falls off.
To extend this performance you might also combine this work with
another work of Emmetts:

The Gift of Tongues, 1962

Sing meaningfully in a language made up on the spot.