Dear Timothy:

Thank you so deeply much!

(i was the person who brought up Takahashi--one of my favorite poets)--

i wil go look for this! i had no idea this miraculous book existed!

it is a deep pleasure to know others are also lovers of the work of takahashi--

i just came acroos an interetsing quote re the interrelationship of dada and Fluxus--

it is in the collection of essays VISUAL LITERATURE CRITICISM  ed ited by Richard Kostelanetz  in the series Precisely: 3 4 5  WCPR:  19

(WCPR: West Coast Poetry Reviw) this edition of 'A New Collection" is co-edited with Stephen Scobie  came out in 1978

thi is from a piece by Geoffrey Cook called: "Visual Poetry as a Molting"

Cook ends the piece with the ways Fluxus contirbuted to amovement out of the hegemonic art world of  the time period begining in the 1940-50s:

Ergo, Expressionism  & Syurrealism  mixed with indigenous North American aesthetic thinking was to dominate the Western world for two decades.  In the '60s the Fluxus group was the first  crack in this cultural egg.  This movement began to investiage those other trends of  Modernism.  (Dada, the Futurisms of Italy and Russia; al three suppressed for some time due to poltical reasons in the McCarhy etc era--my note)  Out of this initial revolt came concrete poetry in Brazil.  During this decade the crack in New York's cultural hegemony has become a rift.  Art is & can be created virtually anywhere on the globe.  There is no one center.  dadaims  & Futurism have been reinvestigated in a context  that is coming to terms with the technological innovations of the past six decades.. Langauge is further being reinvesitgated struturally & sociologically.  As Dick Higgins says :  "The word is not dead, it is merely chanigng its skin"

i think it's interesting that Cook notes how Fluxus helps bring back from obsucuirty the enrgies of dadaism and Futurism--it's quitea tribute to Fluxus!--

the book also incluodes a brief one page piece by Bern Poreter, an essay by Dick Higgins and--"Visual Poetry Reflected" by John M. Bennett!

"Bevor der war dada da, dada da war"--Hans Arp

Thank you agin for the Takahshi/Tzara !

--david-baptiste

>From: "Timothy W. Duncan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: FLUXLIST@scribble.com
>Subject: Re: FLUXLIST: Fluxus and Dada/Dada and Buddhism
>Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:18:02 -0800
>
>Hello,
>
>For those who would like to read more about Dada and Zen, there is a book
>that came out in 1977 by Ko Wan called "Buddhist Elements in Dada: A
>Comparison of Tristan Tzara, Takahashi Shinkichi, and Their Fellow Poets",
>that explores the Dada/Buddhist connection in depth. Also, it is a good
>critical introduction to the work of Takahashi, whose poetry is
>extraordinary. Since someone else in this thread recommended reading
>Takahashi, I will add that there are a few excellent translations of his
>work by Lucien Stryk, especially "Triumph of the Sparrow."
>
>-- Tim Duncan

Find files on your PC instantly with the new MSN Toolbar Suite beta – FREE!