I give a rat's ass, and I agree with Crispin. History is important because
education is important. The opportunity to learn and experience should not
be exclusive to certain artforms, movements, or any other types of events,
objects, or ideas. You can't stop people from being curious (such is the
bane of the existence of many governments). Putting new spins on old ideas
are how some of the most innovative concepts are born. I mean - isn't that
how Fluxus was born? I also feel that being exclusive is the antithesis of
the very heart of all things Fluxus.

There is also an inherent need to categorize and label art (among other
things) so it can be understood - just like the label "Fluxus" or
"Surrealist" get slapped on things as a way of making sense of the ideas
that lie within it.
However, I don't agree with Madawg entirely. While I do agree that your work
is your own - and your own to call Fluxus or Conceptual or Crap or
Slkeiskdiw - I don't necessarily think a person has to "get it" in order to
create something that would be considered Fluxus. If you get it - then
Fluxus is simply a label you are imposing on yourself or your work. We could
call something Fluxist although the person who created it does not get it at
all.  I do understand what your saying about the nature of Fluxus and being
true to yourself, but can we agree that the idea of Fluxus was declared and
then acted upon? There is a definate style of work that seperates Fluxus
from, say, Abstract Expressionism. I don't think Robert Motherwell would
consider himself a Fluxster - though he did reside in
Provincetown...hmmmm...at the very least, I don't think Peggy Guggenheim
would've considered him a Fluxus artist!

I think it's just fine to be inspired by things and not consider yourself
part of any particular movement. Ahhhh freedom - the freedom to give a rat's
ass.