Interesting post

thanks

On 2006 Apr 28, at 4:08 AM, Kamen Nedev wrote:

> Hmmm, you have a point here. CDs suck. Period. The thing is, I'm
> not into CDs, I'm into the idea of "publication", "edition", or
> whatever you might call it. I don't care if it's a CD or a USB
> stick or a vinyl record, as long as I get this idea of an
> "edition". In any case, for most of us, ephemeral netcasting and
> netlabels (or, as in your case, even our own resources) seem to be
> the most accessible path.

well, you know...you go along with the formats
in order to conduct the business of music.
As they change, so do the needs of distribution channels.

BUT when it comes to personal access,
I've been increasingly interested in anything that
has a deep time-bottom and doesn't have to be compiled
in a linear manner.

I'm surrounded by box/Bach sets that take the form of gargantuan
proportions:
182 CDs of Bach...50 CDs of Merzbow...50 CDs of Klaus Schulze, etc.
and just last week I got all squishy and excited
when this explicated anthem from Prinzendorf that is the 51 disc
"Orgien Mysterien Theater" (Orgies and Mysteries Theater) of Hermann
Nitsch
(of Viennese Aktionist fame) shows up with thick books/boots and poster.
So I have to ask: why not just send me a small hard drive?
The books/scores have a nicer feel than little slip covers around discs,
but the sound could've been just as easily sent on a keychain harddrive.

So, I think of a single Terrabyte for my work.
The idea of making it one long work that uses
40 years of pieces dropped inside at various points.
One of the things that I've learned and've appreciated
during my studies with Stockhausen over these past few years
is this idea of one large work (his "Licht - 29 hours long)
as a ground by which various smaller solo or group ensemble
pieces can be extracted for performance.
In my case, it's somewhat the reverse where individual pieces are
interlaced into a whole that constantly/consistently grows.
Need a solo 29 minute work?
OK, let me play the part of the Metzgermeister
and just slice some off for you.

Would you like that wrapped?

---
Now playing: Paul Wilson - The Fall Cover Artwork: Are You Are
Missing Winner