Hi Sarah,
hi group,

as a security auditor and consultant I normally suggest
(1) to implement as many security as available, but no more security than really needed. The need should follow an individual risk classification to all IT assets / data of a company.

It doesn't make sense to encrypt a folder/partition with none critical data on it. But it really makes sense to encrypt folders/partitions of sensitive data (e.g. internal strategics/business plans, internal financial statements, company secrets, ...).

Everytime you encrypt / decrypt a file, folder or partition you will have
- file access to the harddisk,
- processor load,
- memory access
- ...
This influences the performance of each system. On some systems more significant than on others.

So on company wide file servers, an encrypted partition should exist, there people have to store their classified files aligned to their given rights and according the company security policy / risk classification. On mobile devices people should have an encrypted directory or partition, which is access-protected by password or comparable methods and can be mounted (dismounted), when needed (not needed) and there they have to store their classified files according the company security policy / risk classification.

This strategy follows the given suggestion (1).

Ok. When influenced by real great paranoia, a company also can create a policy, that all HDD need to be encryted. But this is part of the same category, like prohibiting the connection of any hardware to any network. ;-)

Cheers,
Dietrich