or:
one could produce the code to be run as specialized zip files, filled with
some-odd Java class files, and any data files;
the zip file is recieved, unpacked into a local directory, then executed with a
specialized/modified Java VM (mostly modified to keep track of what things are
run);
any changed files are then zipped and sent back.

potentially, the protocol used could be HTTP.
ok, so in this case, the server could probably be a modified version of
Apache...

so, the costs could be:
initial setup costs (costs associated with submitting the work request and
setting up the process);
library linkage costs (many utility libraries could require royalties);
running time costs (both a unit-time cost for processor time, and also a
linear-time royalty fee per-library);
bandwidth costs (mostly based on the amount of data to be sent to/from the
server).

after everything is run, the costs are calculated and billed to the user, for
example:
initial setup cost $0.05;
per-library royalty cost $0.01;
processor-time cost $0.05 per second;
processor-time royalty cost $0.005 per second;
heap usage cost $0.01 per MB;
bandwidth costs $0.05 per MB;
..

all this could be calculated though by the servers depending on load, rent,
costs of electrical power, profit margin, ...

the owners then would have a number of in-house servers, and could potentially
rent time on other peoples' systems as well...