I've been reading Roy and Haridi's "Concepts, Techniques, and Models of
Computer Programming" [1], and I see it as a great practical approach to
VPRI's ideas on the principles of programming languages. Is there anyone
more autoritative here who could chime in on the intellectual connection (if
there is one)?

Cheers,
Andrey

1. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0262220695