On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 6:51 PM, John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com>wrote:

> That being said, I have no idea why people think Smalltalk-80 would have
> been uniformly better than Java.  I am not saying this to be negative.  In
> my view, much of the biggest mistakes with Java were requiring insane legacy
> compatibility, and doing it in really bad ways.  Swing should have never
> have been forced to reuse AWT, for example.  And AWT should never have had a
> concrete component model, thus "forcing" Swing to inherit it (dropping the
> rabbit ears, because I see no good explanation for why it had to inherit
> AWT's component model via "implementation inheritance").  It's hard for me
> to even guage if the Swing developers were good programmers or not, given
> that ridiculously stupid constraint.  It's not like Swing even supported
> phones, it was never in J2ME.  The best I can conclude is that they were not
> domain experts, but who really was at the time?

I started programming Swing a year ago and spent a little time learning its
history when I first started. I was able to gather a few anecdotes, and they
have fascinated me.

There were two working next-generation Java GUI toolkits at the time of
Swing's conception - Netscape's IFC and Lighthouse Design's LFC - both
toolkits were developed by ex-NeXT developers and borrowed heavily from
AppKit's design. IFC even had a design tool that mimicd Interface Builder
(which still lives on today in Cocoa).

Sun first acquired Lighthouse Design, then decided to join forces with
Netscape - with two proven(?) toolkits, the politics worked out such that
all the AWT people at Sun ended up leading the newly-joined team, and the
working code from the other parties discarded, and from this, Swing was
born.

http://talblog.info/archives/2007/01/sundown.html
http://www.noodlesoft.com/blog/2007/01/23/the-sun-also-sets/

--