Thanks for your reply! Some comments below.

On Oct 14, 2010, at 7:50 PM, John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Casey,
>
> Let's cut this email you wrote into two ideas.
>
> it makes me wish I had some time to study prolog.
>
> Why don't you have time to study prolog?  What does the word "study" even
> mean here?

Ah; sorry. I should back up. Assertions in tests when viewed from a particular
perspective look a lot like rules/questions in Prolog. I have a hunch that
Prolog has some secret alien technology that testers in the large are mostly
unaware of, but I could be wrong.

I need to understand Prolog to be certain. I sit presently with a nice porter
and a book called "Programming in Prolog" which I found for a couple of dollars
at a second hand book store a few blocks from here.

As far as time is concerned, that's quite simply: slapping some lipstick on the
pig and running it out the door "in the large" winds up being ridiculous
working hours sometimes.

> I wonder: what if all we did was write the tests? What if we threw some kind
> of genetic algorithm or neural network at the task of making the tests pass?
>

> You should read Robert Binder's book on testing.

Oh! I will make an effort to hunt it down. There are lots of books on testing,
but very few really good ones; thanks for the recommendation!

> I don't understand why the people you talk to say it's not possible.

In the large, if it isn't either "news" (read: I read on Slashdot that people
are starting to use Javascript on the server with this thing called Node.js) or
"best practice" (read: dogma,) you're crazy, naive, stupid, or wasting valuable
company time.

In their defense, no one has said "impossible," it's been more like "waste of
time."

> I realize that there are some challenges with the idea: what's the DNA of a
> computer program look like? Compiled methods? Pure functions? Abstract syntax
> trees? Objects? Classes? Prototypes? Source code fragments? How are these
> things composed, inherited, and mutated?
>

> Well, DNA is only one property of a living organism.  DNA is argued by some
> to not even really be our source code (RNA World Hypothesis [1]), Messenger
> RNA serves as the object template for protein synthesis.

Heh, I'll read the wiki article. I should be clear: by DNA, I mean a metaphor,
so I guess what I mean is more like "what's the atomic quality or value of a
program which can be composed in a way that enables natural selection of object
or algorithm by genetic means?"

To give you an example of the specific questions I'm talking about, here's a
fun little bit about evolving programs to compete in a programming game called
CoreWar:

http://corewar.co.uk/perry.htm

The author seemed to find that the initial selection of "gene" unit for a piece
of software had to be arbitrary in his case (but RedCode is analogous to
assembler. Something like Smalltalk or Self might have a more clearly defined
atomic "gene" quality if we think about it.)