From: Cornelius Toole <cornelius.to...@gmail.com>
To: Fundamentals of New Computing <fonc@vpri.org>
Sent: Tue, May 31, 2011 7:16:20 AM
Subject: Re: [fonc] Alternative Web programming models?

Thanks Merik,

I've read/watch the OOPSLA'97 keynote before, but hadn't seen the first video.
I'm having problems with the first one(the talk at UIUC). Has anyone been able
to watch past the first hour. I get up to the point where Alex speaks and it
freezes.

I've just recently read Roy Fielding's dissertation on the architecture of the
Web. Two prominent features of web architecture are the (1) client-server
hierarchical style and (2) the layering abstraction style. My take away from
that is how all of abstraction layers of the web software stack get in the way
of the applications that want to use the machine. Style 1 is counter to the
notion of the 'no centers' principle and is very limiting when you consider
different classes of applications that might involve many entities with
ill-defined relationships. Style 2, provides for separation of concerns and
supports integration with legacy systems, but incurs so much overhead in terms
of structural complexity and performance. I think the stuff about web sockets
and what was discussed in the Erlang interview that Micheal linked to in the
1st
reply is relevant here. The web was designed for large grain interaction
between
entities, but many application domain problems don't map to that. Some people
just want pipes or channels to exchange messages for fine-grained interactions,
but the layer cake doesn't allow it. This is where you get the feeling that the
architecture for rich web apps is no-architecture, just piling big stones atop
one another.

I think it would be very interesting for someone to take the same approach to
networked-based application as Gezira did with graphics (or the STEP project in
general) as far assessing what's needed in a modern Internet-scale hypermedia
architecture.

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Merik Voswinkel <a...@knoware.nl> wrote:

Dr Alan Kay addressed the html design a number of times in his lectures and
keynotes. Here are two: